Safety is of paramount importance in any company, and while adherence to industry safety practices can help mitigate danger, there is always the possibility that other factors can cause accidents, injuries, and even deaths. Employee drug and alcohol abuse while on the job are one of the most significant factors here, and the US government has taken a hard line against such abuse. DOT mandatory drug and alcohol awareness training is now required for employees in all safety-sensitive situations within companies.
What Is This Type of Training?
While the name might be a bit daunting, this training is straightforward to understand. Simply put, it’s a brief course designed to educate your employees on the dangers of using alcohol and drugs while on the job, as well as how to recognize the signs and symptoms of such abuse and where to turn if they face problems with addiction. DOT mandatory drug and alcohol awareness training should last a minimum of one hour and should focus on both drugs and alcohol. A few key components of a successful course include:
- Where employees can get answers to questions about the company policy, or other subjects covered in the class.
- Information covering how drug and alcohol use affects a person’s personal life, professional life, and health.
- What conduct is expected from employees, and what is prohibited explicitly by DOT regulations and company policy.
- What happens if the employee refuses to take a drug or alcohol test, and what constitutes a refusal.
- Where the employee can go to seek counseling or treatment in the case that they are battling dependency or addiction.
Choosing the Right DOT Mandatory Drug and Alcohol Awareness Training Provider
While DOT companies are free to provide training in-house, most find it beneficial to turn those needs over to a qualified professional training provider. Such companies can help ensure that not only is the necessary information provided to all covered employees but that it is presented in an engaging and accessible to digest manner that helps bolster understanding and information retention. These companies can also offer information in unique formats that highlight not only the core message but the ramifications of drug and alcohol use on the job.
The right training company can make all the difference, both in regulatory compliance and in employee understanding. Online course delivery can help ensure that your employees can learn at their own pace, without the drawbacks of a traditional classroom or in-house training environment.